Friday, November 10, 2006

knowing

So epistemology is the theory of knowledge. Basically it tries to answer the questions of 'what do we know' and 'how do we know it.' Its very basic and person's answer to these questions will say a lot about all of the other beliefs they hold. I just finished with Ayn Rand's book Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology. I am mainly interested in this topic, at this time, for how knowledge and faith intersect or are distinct from each other. I haven't read a whole lot on epistemology besides Locke, Hume and Berkely[I can't really remember their theories]. I do like Rand's Objectivist epistemology. I will badly summarize it by saying the main thrust of it is that man's concepts are based in reality. This is a bit different than faith in that faith is usually asserted and not based on empirical evidence or not experienced in reality. For Christianity there are a number of truths that just asserted that we can neither confirm nor deny absolutely. For example we cannot absolutely say whether Jesus Christ was raised from the dead or not. You can study a historical record and draw some provisional conclusions about whether this event happened or did not happen but conclusive evidence will not be obtainable. So if one is to be a Christian you must just accept this claim. One is asked to take that existential leap of faith and embrace Christianity. This seems to allow all claims of any religion the possibility of being true. If we are not able to confirm conclusively that the claims of Christianity are true than how are we exclude the claims of Islam, Scientology, Mormonism etc. So some the of the questions I think arise: Can you hold a rational belief in God or even the Christian God? If its not rational and based on foundational knowledge then are you comfortable with mystic belief? And if you hold a mystical belief about your particular religion how do claim your religious belief to be exclusively true and how do you discount other religious claims?

3 Comments:

Blogger Wes Messamore said...

While you and I may disagree over whether there is actually a God and over whether or not Christ was God incarnate, I don't see any reason to believe that mysticism is a requirement of belief in either of those claims. I think that one can believe those claims with at least as fair a degree of certainty as one who disbelieves them. I happen to agree strongly with Rand's metaphysical and epistemological beliefs, as well as the claims of the Gospel writers.

10:38 AM  
Blogger jc said...

Since this post I have made my way through Peikoff's 'Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand' and I am quite sure that if you strongly agree with Rand's Epistemology and Metaphysics you will find yourself at odds with a belief in God. I would say that if you agreed strongly with these philosophies then you could at least not say that you had objective knowledge of God... precluding some sort of religious experience. I think one could say they irrationally believe in God and adhere to her philosophy. It is quite possible that this particular belief, however irrational, could be quite true. For me, it makes me very uncomfortable to believe in something non-objectively because I fear I will be open to believing in almost any religious belief with no criteria to discern what is worthy of belief and what is not. I am not sure what your take is on this exactly but I will check out your blog.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Wes Messamore said...

I am in total agreement that only objective beliefs are legitimate and trustworthy. I also maintain that my beliefs in the Gospel claims are objective.'

It is impossible for me to ever meet George Washington (in this world anyway) because he is dead and gone. Yet, I can be sure that he existed and I can be sure of a lot of his life's history, all in an objective way. Not scientifically through repeated observations, but by puzzling together the pieces as a detective does, and determining that it is most probable that he did exist and was the first President of the US.

It is in the same way that I have come to a belief in God and the claims of the writers of Scripture regarding God's nature. You may disagree with those claims, but can you see how it would be fair to say that I hold them in a rational and objective way? If you care for further elaboration as to exactly what pieces fit together and how in order to bring me to this conclusion, I'd be glad to discuss it further.

Finally, this post I made a while back might also help to elaborate on my epistemology and view of faith:

http://slaying-dragons.blogspot.com/2006/12/apologetics-who-needs-it.html

Thanks, JC.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home